Sunday, December 18, 2005

Snowshoeing in Chartreuse

I have all the equipment (and more) that I will ever need for the Kili, and every other logistical issue resolved as well; I did train, running my bike up and down the cols and valleys of the Alps, until it became somewhat easy, but have never really trekked much besides a few short day hikes; the question remains: can I do it ? Let's find out. The daily ascent on the Kili is around 1000 m over a small gradient, peanuts for experienced trekkers but still an unknown quantity to this neophyte. Grenoble is surrounded by mountains: I'll choose a random summit and simply start climbing higher and at a steeper gradient than I will be called upon to do in Tanzania. Grenoble is surrounded by Vercors -- a mythical name to readers of Resistance period pieces --, Chartreuse, and Belledonne. Chartreuse is closer, and I know my way up part of the road through the fortifications. So picture this: this guy wearing gaiters, winter gear, with snowshoes strapped to his back, casually crossing the city on a balmy day (about 10 degrees celcius, not bad for a late December day), purposefully walking up towards the overlooking fortifications of the Bastille (nothing at all to do with the particular Bastille made famous by the French Revolution: that one nowadays has been replaced by a disappointing pillar in the middle of a Paris roundabout.) There are quite a few surprised passersby; I return their quizzical looks with that of my own: with such an amazing playground surronding the city, why is it that such a sight as this outdoor enthusiasts' is still somewhat unusual ? Are these hills a classic case of the phenomenal appearing mundane by proximity ?

The picture set can be found here; we'll first go through Bastille, then up the steeply inclined backwoods overlooking La Tronche, and up through serpentine hill-hugging paths (look at the drop on one of the pics !) to Mt Rachais (1350m) until there is nowhere higher to go. The summit shots show St. Eynard and Sappey, two of my favorite cycling climbs. The whole ascent took about 5 hours and was relatively easy. Bring on the Kili !

1 Comments:

Blogger bob said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

4:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home